Oh my goodness. Hello.
So, it’s been MONTHS (yet, somehow, not a year???), and I know that, since I’ve had a moment to blog. Physically speaking. Also, mentally speaking. The entire world has had so much going on…props to you for carrying on, my friend. (Regardless of how many days now you’ve been on that same spot on the couch. Eating Cheetos. Hopefully.)
Here’s a little bit of what’s been going on with me:
- Significantly and by far most importantly, my dad got a lymphoma diagnosis in January. Oddly, this felt like positive news, given some of the other diagnoses we might have gotten. His prognosis is great, his doctor says the word “curable” often (!!) and we’re foreseeably set to be “done” with this in June. However, chemo is still involved, and chemo is shit, and cancer sucks overall so can we please just permanently rid our society of it???
- Relatedly, I have become a (very, extremely unofficial) specialist in so many health and law-related things. A lawyer the other day asked me if I am a lawyer (maybe this was a pickup line but I’m gonna tell myself it’s because of my brainzzz) and dad’s doctors were (apparently) visibly perplexed the first time I didn’t show up at an appointment to be the medical representative for the family. The details are not necessary at the very moment, but I’ve been talking to lotsss of doctors and lawyers lately, and now I literally am one because that is how osmosis works (it’s not).
- Additionally, and not to, like, bury the lead…but I finished a new BOOK. Writing one, that is. The one I promised everyone and myself I was going to finish in all those posts last year. Well, it’s done and I’m in the process of agent-hunting…which is code for “standing naked in front of dozens of strangers while they slap you across the face with rejection emails.” But, alas, we are strong – much, much stronger than this – and talented, and we’ve succeeded at this whole agent thing once so who is to say we won’t do it again? (Not me!)
- There is also a pandemic happening…(you can see how my year is going so far if this tidbit is number four on my list). In all seriousness, this isn’t great and I can’t help but feel like it’s going to be worse, and regardless of how you vote or what your health history is, I hope you’re home and washing your hands whenever you can be. I hope you’re all well, and you’ll be helping people like my dad more than you know.
- Lastly, there’s been work and stuff. Like my job. (Full stop.)
However, my mom said something very inspirational about 2020 a couple decades (weeks) ago, and that is that 2020 is not only the year but 20/20 is the score you get for perfect vision. So maybe it is still our right to manifest our own perfect visions for this year. Maybe it’s up to us to just sit down and DO IT.
So, I hope you’re doing it. And I’m forcing myself to do it. And I’ll be making time to blog about it a whole lot more (because what else am I even doing?) and it’s gonna be ok. More than ok. Fantastic.
(But, seriously, wash your hands, guys.)