(Crediting this title to Disney or Pixar or whoever actually owns it so I don’t get sued.)
It’s summer! If you live on the east coast, this means that there is officially a 50% chance of a thunderstorm striking at any given moment until it’s finally Fall. Which means that there is also a 90% chance (probabilities are fun) that, whenever a freak storm hits, I will be ordering pizza.
But 10% of the time, I WON’T! And most of the time during that 10-percent-of-the-time, I’ll treat myself to my Spicy Italian Meatballs instead.
THESE ARE SO GOOD. These are so easy. That’s what makes them a year-round go-to, especially when you don’t want to make the poor pizza guy come to you in a downpour. They are also super budget-friendly because just about every ingredient is fundamental enough/non-perishable enough that it probably either already exists in your kitchen or can last for months if you do, indeed, need to buy it.
So, that said, let’s spare our wallets and local pizza men and treat ourselves/loved ones/people at that Oscars viewing party to some insanely delicious MEATBALLS.
(These are so good and I was so determined to share them with other hungry people that I even took the time to measure out the ingredients this time so I could share this recipe with the WORLD. I never measure. I don’t own measuring utensils. Fortunately, I’m at my parents’ house. They do own measuring utensils.)
Spicy Italian Meatballs (serves four; two meatballs each)
Here’s what you’re gonna need:
- 1 lb ground turkey (but I’ve used ground chicken and ground beef and both turned out equally delicious)
- 1 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cups of Italian breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons of onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes (more or less, depending on how spicy you want your balls to be)
- 1 teaspoon of table pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of table salt
- 1 egg
- Olive oil (for drizzle)
- Sea salt/Kosher salt/some kind of bigger crystal salt if you have it
Here’s what you’re gonna do:
- Heat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (to make your clean-up practically nonexistent).
- Take all of the ingredients except the big-crystal salt and the olive oil and throw it into a big ol’ bowl.
- Use your hands and mix it up until everything’s combined.
- Use your hands and roll out some meatballs (I like mine bigger, which is why this recipe only makes eight total for me).
- Place your balls on the lined baking sheet with a little bit of space between them.
- Drizzle each ball with olive oil.
- Add a pinch of your big-crystal salt to the top of each ball.
- Throw it (place it) in your preheated oven.
- Let the balls hang out in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, while keeping in mind the fact that ovens are like snowflakes and each one is different! You can cut into one of your meatballs to make sure it’s cooked, if you need to. Basically, just don’t eat raw poultry.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for about five minutes.
- Use your fingers and a little twisting motion to get your meatballs off the foil.
- Place in a serving dish (or freeze them for months at a time) and enjoy!
Let me know how yours turn out!